In this episode, we’ll dive into the transformative power of changing your mindset as an elementary music teacher and how it can lead to a happier teaching experience.
I’ll be discussing three actionable tips that can help you cultivate a positive mindset and create a joyful classroom environment.
Tip 1: Letting It Go Like Elsa
– Sometimes, unexpected challenges and setbacks can dampen our spirits as music teachers.
– Embrace the mantra of “letting it go” like Elsa from Frozen.
– Instead of dwelling on negative experiences, focus on finding solutions and opportunities for growth.
– Shift your mindset and redirect your energy towards creating a positive and uplifting musical experience for your students.
Tip 2: Embracing Choice for Challenging Situations, Classes, or Students
– Encountering difficult classes or students is part of the journey.
– Give them another chance and don’t assume that they will be the same every day.
– Embrace the power of choice as a music teacher.
– Try new teaching strategies, explore unique instruments, or get out your fun manipulatives. Then allow your students to create and direct the learning.
– Foster an environment that encourages growth and transformation, both for your students and yourself.
Tip 3: Extending Empathy to Your Admin
– Sometimes it may feel like your administrators are working against you.
– Give them the benefit of the doubt and extend empathy.
– Understand that administrators have multiple responsibilities and different perspectives.
– Foster open communication channels and collaborate with your administrators to create a supportive and harmonious working environment.
BONUS Tip: Joy Snacking
– Introduce the concept of “joy snacking.”
– Take short breaks throughout the day to engage in activities that bring you pure joy.
– Sing your favorite songs, play an instrument just for fun, or dance like nobody’s watching, take a walk outdoors, whatever brings you joy.
– These joy snacks will recharge your spirit and infuse your teaching with enthusiasm.
– Changing your mindset as an elementary music teacher is a journey that leads to greater happiness and fulfillment.
– Embrace the power of letting go, choice, and empathy to create a positive and joyful classroom environment.
– Don’t forget to indulge in joy snacks throughout your day to keep your passion for music alive.
– Remember, a positive mindset not only benefits you but also positively impacts the musical journey of your students.
– Thank you for tuning in to this episode of The Happy Music Teacher podcast.
– We hope you found these tips on changing your mindset valuable and inspiring.
– Stay tuned for more episodes where we explore topics that empower music teachers to find happiness
– Don’t forget to subscribe, leave a review, and share this podcast with your fellow elementary music educators.
What we talked about:
Tarzan – Silly song
The Story of the Snow Children (the storybook I used to create our 4th grade winter program)
Bubble breathing artwork, perfect for your calm down corner.
Want more tips and trainings to help you find happy in your music classroom? Join the The Happy Music Teacher Academy!